Friday, May 22, 2009

What goal again?

There's no way I'm going to make 10 posts this month. That would require one post every three days, which obviously hasn't happened. It also would require me not cutting three days from May by going on vacation, which is definitely going to happen. Maybe June will be my blogging month...

So we're finally taking a vacation. Yes, we go to Lake Powell every summer, but this is a real vacation complete with airplane, rental car, and baby gear up the wazoo. I took summer classes in 2006, 2007, and 2008, and when I realized I didn't have to take a class this summer, I determined we would go somewhere before I start the dental hygiene program.

This was no easy feat. I had to work around IHC's upgrade schedule, Josh's on-call schedule, his coworkers' training schedules, the Lake Powell trips, church obligations, the Wasatch Roller Derby bouts, and finally the schedules of the people we're going to visit (thank goodness they keep themselves more available than Josh does!). As it is, we'll be missing my niece's baptism and one friend's wife flies out the day after we arrive, but all in all the timing worked out splendidly.

Where are we going? To Washington, D.C.! We're going to visit
Jake and Lori, Katie and Todd, and Josh's uncle's family. I seriously couldn't be more excited. Jake and I went to high school together and have always stayed good friends. I technically met Katie online, but really became friends with her when we both lived in Vegas. Josh's aunt and uncle are so super nice and very successful - good people to get life lessons from. It's going to be a great trip.

So Grayson is 15 months old now and this is my first flight ever with a baby/toddler/child. Any tips or suggestions to make it as painless and easy as possible? We got nonstop flights both ways, 4.5 hours long.
Our flight leaves Thursday, May 28, so please share your wisdom asap. There are some suggestions I found on Vanessa's blog that sound good, but if you have something more to add, please do so! {This means you Jenise, if you can stop staring at Dax long enough to read this post. ;-) }

7 comments:

Katz said...

I'm so ridiculously excited to see you guys.

Garrett was around 14 months when we flew to Vegas in January. He actually slept for most of the flight. We over-packed on our flight in November when I gathered ideas. The boys didn't really care about most of it. I'm sure that you're traveling with Grayson as a lap child, but take his seat to the gate! If there's room on the flight, they should let you use it. If not, they can always check it at the gate. We had Garrett in Bronson seat for most of the flight. It'll save you a lot of fighting with a little boy that just wants to get down and walk.

Deidra said...

No tips on traveling with a kiddo, but have a great time in DC. Almost a year ago to the date you leave we were flying out for our summer there. I love it, and early summer is a good time to be there.

Shauna said...

Hope you have a super weekend!
♥ HUGS ♥

The Palmers said...

lots of treats!

Vanessa said...

Well, it turns out you now have to pay for EVERYTHING! I flew Allegiant Air, so maybe it will be different with your airline. There was no free snacks or drinks and to top it all off . . . Coral fell asleep and I asked for a blanket . . . yep, you have to pay for it. And pillows too! When they told me that, I immediately thought, "Oh no! I've got to tell Paige." Other than that, I just had lots of snacks and toys to entertain along with dvd player and singing songs during take off and landing worked wonders.

Jenise said...

I finally got on the computer today. I know you might think I have tons of wisdom when it comes to flying, but it is a crap shoot every time. It sounds like you have gotten some good advice already. I load up on the "shut-up" food galore. That is what I call snacks for the plane ride. I know it doesn't sound very nice, but that is what it is. Everything you learn about what you should and shouldn't give your kids in the ways of snacks goes right out the window when it come to flying, for me and Shawn. Anyways, just bring some of his favorite toys that are small and easy to travel with. Know that he is going to want to get down and explore. When you have to hold him, like for take off and landing, try to occupy him. If it doesn't work and he starts to scream, don't worry about what other people may be thinking, because he is safer in your arms screaming and you can't do anything about that. As soon as you can, you can let him have his freedom again to some extent and things will work out just fine. And for the liquid thing, you can bring anything you think is necesarry for you child through security. If he drinks a lot of milk like Fox did, I would bring one of your nalgene bottles filled up with milk and put some ice in it so that you can give him that when he wants it. Anyways, if it is something liquid, but something that Grayson will eat or drink, or any medicines, you can take it through security no problem. Hope that helps. And I hope you have a fun time.

Joy said...

I'm so excited to see y'all!!