Saturday, October 27, 2007

Update on whatever

Ugh. I need to finish writing our talks for sacrament meeting tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time concentrating. I went to southern Utah with Josh Tuesday to see my folks while he worked at Dixie on Wednesday. On our drive home Wednesday night we got a call from the Bishopric requesting we speak in sacrament meeting on Sunday (tomorrow). We almost said no - it was after 9pm Wednesday night, we were barely out of Cedar City, and Josh wasn't going to have much time to prepare one - but we guilted ourselves into saying yes.

Well, Josh worked at IMC until 9pm last night and has already been there since 8am this morning. Poor guy. I hate it when he works late, but I extra hate it when he sacrifices his weekends and doesn't get a decent break from work. Anyway, his talk isn't getting written, so we decided that instead of writing two 12-minute talks on the two subjects they gave us, I would write one 24-minute talk on one subject, and Josh could give half of it. I have my doubts about our probable success, but we've concluded that if we bomb these talks, they won't be asking us again anytime soon, so either way we win!

In other news...
I got a kicking maternity skirt for only $15 at Motherhood Maternity that will easily last me through these last three months. I officially start teaching the 6 & 7-year-olds in Primary tomorrow, so I wanted to get something now that will be comfy enough that I'm not constantly shuffling around in front of the kiddies, but
that will grow with me so I don't have to buy another later on. This skirt is perfect. It's a little big right now, but it still stays up (and I can use my black belly band to help!), and it's dressy without being flashy. It's a long, black, skirt, and perfect for wintertime. I love it so much I might not get any others and just wear this one every week until the baby comes.

I'm making great progress on my crafty Christmas gifts for all the siblings this year. I'm more or less done with gifts for my side of the family, but Josh's side is another story. We've talked about it a bit, but haven't had any great revelations yet. What are some gifts all y'all are giving your parents this year??

Josh and I cannot agree on a single name for this baby, so he will probably not have a name before he is born. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated, but chances are we won't know his name until after we look at him.

I made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a ward function this week, and Josh confessed to me that "they are the best cookies you've ever made." I was surprised at first, but then I realized I don't make cookies very often. In fact, the only other cookies I've made since we married are "secret surprise cookies" and those are strictly a Lake Powell tradition. I'm a big fan of brownies, rice krispies treats, and even cakes (especially cheesecake - yum!), but rarely will I put in the time to make cookies. But now that I know he liked them so much, I might make them as an occasional special treat for him. Nicey!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"if we bomb these talks, they won't be asking us again anytime soon, so either way we win!"

In the military, we call that "dynamic incompetence". Screw something up, and they'll never ask you to do it again. :-)

Vanessa said...

Hey! Will you post a picture of you and your belly?

Lucy Stern said...

I am working on making some oatmeal cinnamon cookies tonight. My husband loves the cinnamon flavor. Go check out your thrift store for some nice maternity clothes. It is amazing what you will find there.

Trude said...

gosh you guys sound so busy! made me tired just thinking about all the stuff you have to do. good luck with the talk!/s!

Joy said...

I rarely put the time in making cookies, but I love a bars too. That being said, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are my faves. I love them.

Katz said...

You sound so busy over there. I'm glad things are working out for you guys.

Feel free to send me some cookies.

Daisy Paige said...

Vanessa, you are so weird, but I just posted a pregnant pic for you to enjoy. Enjoy!

Lucy...thanks for stopping by! I really enjoyed your blog. Tons of good recipes and other areas where I need help.

Trudy, don't stress yourself out reading my blog, girl! Josh is really the busy one, not me. I mostly sit around practicing my homemaker skills. I'll have you over for dinner after I get good at cooking.

Daisy Paige said...

Joy, I think that's why I don't really bake cookies that often - takes a lot of time - but I really liked that recipe I used. They were super yummy.

Maybe I'll send some out to Maryland for you and Katie to enjoy!