Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rejected

My pregnancy and Grayson's ensuing birth has turned my blog focus onto him instead of yours truly, but today I'm reclaiming it with some big news:

I got rejected by the dental hygiene program.


I got the letter last Thursday, March 27. I have to admit that I was surprised. Even though there are only 14 seats and about 60-70 applicants every year, I applied with a 4.0 GPA and high scores on the application exam and knew I had an excellent chance of getting in. So I was surprised, even though I had tried not to get my hopes up.

Well, surprise quickly wore off and sadness started creeping in.
I started to cry. I cried lots and lots, more than I have in a very long time. I was so disappointed in myself. You see, Josh and I have a 10-year plan, but getting rejected was not part of the plan, and it had been going perfectly for the last 2.5 years. Why did I have to go and screw up the plan? I called Josh (he worked out of town Wed-Fri) and bawled to him. What are we going to do now? I felt completely lost and totally stupid. I felt so bad. I felt like a failure. Why did I think I could compete with all those girls 10+ years my junior?

Then I got mad. I got mad because if Josh hadn't dragged us back up to this God-forsaken state, I'd have gotten into the dental hygiene program in Vegas. I was done with those pre-reqs before we moved. I had taken their test. Their program takes twice as many students. There is no driving in snowstorms to get to campus. It was ideal in every way. But no, my husband had to screw it all up. I cried even harder, I was so angry. My emotions ran wild like that all day long.

Finally, at Grayson's 4am feeding, I let the relief I'd been quashing all day settle over me. I wouldn't have to leave my 6-month-old to go back to school full-time! We never knew what we were going to do with him - we'd figure that out once I knew my school schedule - but Josh's work schedule is so unpredictable, we were certainly going to have to find a sitter or daycare. Thankfully, that won't have to happen now.

As it turns out, I was rejected because my application was deemed 'ineligible.' The department called me on Monday and told me so. Seems the transfer credit office was mistaken when they told me Chem 121 would work to fulfill the Chem 1110 requirement, since it's a more advanced Chemistry. But nope. Not true. I have to take Chem 1110 this summer or fall to have it completed before I apply to next year's program. And the lady said I would have had an 'excellent chance' of being accepted if I had been eligible. Looks good for next year!

So we're sticking with the plan, but just delaying it one year. We're hoping it won't be so bad to start the program next year instead. Grayson will be one year older, and hopefully we will be permanently settled in our own home by then. Meanwhile, I'll take the infamous Chem class this summer, and probably Microbiology this fall, just to get it out of the way. The good news is I'm applying to SLCC right now so I can take the classes closer to home. And don't worry - I've already double-checked that the credits will transfer seamlessly this time.

6 comments:

Deidra said...

Good luck with everything. Those disappointments hurt, but it's good to remember that our Heavenly Father loves us and will take care of us!

Sara said...

It felt like a punch in the gut to me when I read the news, and it's not even about me. That must have been a horrible shock! But you will have such a nice extra year at home. I doubt you'll ever regret it.

Jillian said...

Ohhhh bummer. Sounds like you have gotten around to seeing the bright side! Good luck with the revised plan:)

Katz said...

wow. that sucks, but at the same time, i think it's going to work out better for you guys.

Joy said...

I felt for you when I read the news, but it sounds like you are bouncing back.

Laurie said...

Yeah, I'm with those who were sad to hear, but then remembered how completely awesome it is being a stay at home mom. In fact, you know how EVERYONE says, "They grow up so fast!"? Well, unfortunately it's true.

Good luck with the fun chemistry class. Sounds like good times!